Monday, November 26, 2018

Learning to Love Myself

A personal essay by JC Eastwood


Transforming my self-loathing into something more.


Nineteen. Nineteen minutes to run a mile and a half. 
Exhausted and wheezing, I paused to rest near a tree as even the girls passed me by. A poor attempt to pretend re-tying my shoes fooled no one. Embarrassed, my little grey plastic inhaler remained in my pocket and when I returned home, I remained in my room. That day, I was not only embarrassed; I was embarrassing.

My parents couldn’t know about my pitiful track time. My father was the famous local basketball coach and my mother, a former swim instructor. Being an athlete wasn’t forced upon me, but it was expected. It was in my blood. It was in my DNA. But, it was not me. I was me. Criminally undersized, fitfully clumsy, and physically handicapped. Even as a fifth grader, I understood that I was just…me.

Three months passed and nothing changed. I was in middle school, but the beige dirt track was still the scene of some of my worst nightmares. On the first day of PE, I ran the mile and a half in eighteen minutes - just one minute faster. A small victory or yet another disappointment? I chose the latter. Broken, I returned home and tried to pick up the pieces. I didn’t tell my parents about that time, either.

The Mirror


Naked, I stood before the mirror in my bathroom and stared at all of the flaws so openly visible before me. God must have made a mistake when He made me. My eyes passed over my small, bony shoulders, down my thin arms, back up to my tight, flat chest, and then down to my definition-less stomach. No one ever talks about the body image issues that boys go through.

There was a visible twinge of shame as I averted my gaze, accompanied by an immediate, overwhelming amount of self-loathing. As I stood there, I became even more keenly aware that I was not who I so deeply desired to be. As the mirror slowly began to fog over from the still-running shower, I turned once again to face the boy I knew and hated. Looking deep into his eyes, I noticed for the first time a feature of myself that I admired. Beneath the chocolate brown iris and within the dark coal-black pupil, I recognized an inner strength. With newfound resolve, I clenched my fists and thought, “Enough!”

A New Change


The next morning, the same dusty, old orange school bus dropped me off a half hour early like it always did, but while my classmates turned right towards the cafeteria, I turned left towards the track. My bus pass had become my ticket to a new world. A world I was only just discovering.

Walking out across that dark green grass, still wet from the sprinklers that morning, I felt the moisture slowly seeping into my sneakers. Kneeling, I placed both hands on the beige, hard-packed sand of the track, the way I had seen on TV, and imagined the pop of the starter’s pistol. Knees pumping, arms swinging… I ran until my lungs closed shut. Covered in sweat and wheezing, I would then walk to class.

As the days dragged on, I felt the iron shackles of my physical limitations loosening. I felt myself running faster and further. I felt amazing. Pretty soon, I didn’t need my inhaler anymore. Pretty soon, I wasn’t hiding my times from my parents anymore.

Inner Peace


An attempt to prove everyone else wrong had become an attempt to prove myself right. When I next stood in front of the mirror again, I didn’t look at the bony shoulders, thin arms, and flat chest. They were still there, but I instead looked straight into my own eyes. It was there that I saw my greatest quality.

By the end of that year, everyone else knew it too. I had outrun my asthma, improved my mile and a half time to ten minutes, and made the middle school track and field team.

Enough.


3 comments:

  1. I love this. I love the flow of it and the personal aspect you've put in it. I liked how it flowed from you talking broadly about your self image issues as a middle-school-aged boy into creating a vivid scene at the track, and set up a place where you really started to change. I liked it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really inspiring. I think your initial focus on your struggles only makes your triumph sweeter. You had some really rhythmic adjectives 'Criminally undersized, fitfully clumsy, and physically handicapped.'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this was super real. My favorite part has to be the two paragraphs under The Mirror subheading. I think the paragraph break at the end of the body image issues just lurches to an impactful stop and hits that idea home. So on a sentence level I love how that works.

    ReplyDelete